dinsdag 30 maart 2010

Treasure hunting in my studio: U Roer Ladet

My studio will get renovated soon, and I'm starting to dig in my stock room. It is fun to do, because I find unexpected pieces. For instance here's from my graduation show in 1989 the etching U Roer Ladet. 
Inspiration for this piece were instructions in old Dutch for soldiers how to load their weapons: 1. U roer ladet, 2. Op u pan polver doet, 3. U pan afblaast, 4. Schiet.
In the early nineties I've made a lot of etchings, a technique I'm not practicing anymore at the moment. I remember the endless preparation of the etching plates at the academy, the grinding, polishing, it was an exercise in patience.
Karin Bos, U roer ladet, etching, 70 x 90 cm, 1989
Here's a threesome I've made in 1989, the edition is one, size inclusive passpartout is 70 x 90 cm.
A couple of years later, in 1996 when I was working on a series of gouache on paper, the theme came back resulting in this piece of 30 x 30 cm:
Karin Bos, U roer ladet, gouache and pencil on paper, 30 x 30 cm, 1996